Salt & Vinegar

Monday, October 04, 2004

No Place Like Home

I always look forward to going home but by the second day I am pretty much over it. This long weekend I went home to my parents. The boy joined me Saturday arvo as he had to work until 4am Sat morning. This is a second job he does for fun- but I don't think a 4am finish is fun!
So my weekend started with the Lilac Time Festival. This is lots of market stalls in the park and rides and all the shop fronts try their hardest to make the most creative purple window display. It was really cold and I didn't wear enough warm clothes, the markets were pretty crap- lots of country craft and cheapie crap goods imported from Asia, don't forget the country and western singer in the Rotunda! After about 10 minutes of this and my mother was still browsing at the second stall I had enough. It started to rain and my bag was getting wet (note this is bad- water is meant to stain the delicate light leather of a LV). So I yelled at my mum that this was shithouse and I was running to cover to the cheapie dept store. Eventually she came along and we continued to look at the shops in the main street. By 10:30 I was dying for a real coffee- now this is a huge problem as there is only 2 places in the town that can make decent coffee- we were going to one for lunch and the other was closed! This meant that we had to risk it at the dodgy country cafe in the mall and it was very bad- watery burnt and a speck of froth (I may be a coffee snob). So we continued along until lunchtime, visited the local book fair and had a yummy lunch. Got a major bargain on the way to the car. I have this theory that I always find good clothes when I am home because people in small towns don't dress up for work- corporate business suits etc. This time I managed to get a black suit that was $250 reduced to $20. People like to call me a bargain hunter but basically I am a tight arse and hate paying retail and I always know I can find something when I go home.
The boy arrived in the arvo while I was watching the riveting Kangaroo Jack and then we sat down for a nice home cooked meal. My dad really likes it when I come home as he can get Trivial Pursuit out and outsmart and outwit me. The new version I got him is the Travel Edition (Basically this is really bad as we are all crap at geography and need to help each other cheat) so my parents sit there and try to give each other clues which they don't get, sing old songs and talk about movies from before my time. I think for christmas I will get them the 2004 edition and btw I lost.
So back to work tomorrow. We have a new chick starting which is really freaking Joanie out as she has to train her up and the irony here is that the new chick is getting paid more. I'm glad I am having nothing to do with it as I already feel like I hate this new one for bargaining her way up the ladder with no experience.
Will report more tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home