Salt & Vinegar

Friday, January 28, 2005

Expo 88- Together We'll Show the World

At age 9 this was one of my first exciting holidays. I recall needing special permission to go on holidays during the school term. My teacher instructed me to keep a diary in which I would present to the class on my return. I went with my mother, aunt and cousin. We took the night train all the way from Goulburn to Brisbane. We had to sleep in the aisle. We arrived at my uncle's where we were to stay for the duration of our holiday. He liked to rough it to put is nicely! There was no toilet- a hole out the back, no food, dirty house and when my mother opened the cupboard to find a towel, a massive pile of dirty washing fell on her head. We were distraught and my mother tried her hardest to find us alternate accommodation to no avail. Our arrival at expo was such excitement. We received a passport which we could stamp at all the different countries pavilions. I fondly recall sitting in Night Rider's Car - Kit and I had a lovely conversation. The lines for each pavilion were massive and the food was so expensive. Being a fussy eater I was only able to eat slices of pizza at $5 a pop- mum was v impressed!



These statues were a little scary. I remember someone has applied lipstick to this one.




I loved the midday parade.



Don't remember "Blue Poles" must not have been cultured at age 9.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home