Salt & Vinegar

Saturday, July 09, 2005

A whinge

Today I ventured out in the bitter cold with my friend Je to try on bridesmaid dreseses for her upcoming nuptials. So we visited the shop that is making Je's dress as she has noticed they stocked some nice ones in the colour of her theme. We get there and looked through the samples and discovered that every dress on the rack was stocked in the larger sizes 14-18. Come on how pathetic is this? Even though I think I read that the average Australia women is a size 14 what about us smaller people. We caught the attention of the shopgirl and inquired as to whether they stocked small sizes - she shook her head and said no but just try on the larger size and they would pin it. So I end up in the change room with a size 18 (I am normally a size 8) and change in to what can only be described as a silk like garbage bag. I had to venture out to look in the mirror where I am immediately asked what I think. As I can't think of any words I look at Je for help and she asks if they could possible pin it so that we can get a better idea. The disgruntled shop girl pins the dress and states the the smaller size would look so much better (well derr!) After trying model 2 of silk garbage bag I have no words but need to make my mind up quick smart as this is the exact colour and the order takes 12 weeks. I decide on the strapless boned version which leads to another dilemma. Whilst my waist is an 8 my bust has other ideas which makes me a 10-12 on top. So shop girl measure me and it works out I am a size 6 hips, 8 waist and 10 bust. Now which size to order? Je thinks an 8- the boobs will squish in. Shop girl overrides this decision and say a 10 must be ordered and alterations can be made to the bottom half. Afterwards we are uneasy over this decision but fingers crossed that the boning will be nice and firm once the alterations have been made. Otherwise I will have to eat myself to a larger size!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home